Header 1

Header 1
All images below are clickable

Friday 25 August 2023

Spotted Flycatcher/Chiffchaff

On a very warm day this week I went for a local walk.
Recently there has not been many opportunities to observe birds on the local routes, but this day was different.

I was walking up a track that leads to a Farm and looking up at this bare tree I observed a lot of bird activity. I stood in the welcome shade of the next tree and observed two Spotted Flycatchers and at least two Chiffchaffs. They were flying out and catching flies and returning to the branches, a habit particularly known of the Flycatcher. I was there for over and hour shooting images, many of which were not much use as the birds were to high and the angle was wrong. These birds are frantically feeding up before their migrating night flight South over the English channel.




Spotted Flycatcher




 
Chiffchaff










This particular Chiffy below looks to be a first year bird as the yellow marking behind the beak and close to the eye is a good sign that it is a first year bird. 





10 comments:

  1. I’ve not seen a Spotted Flycatcher in years, although I’m sure they are around as I follow a site called Devon Bird Sightings and they are often mentioned. The Chiff Chaff and Willow Warbler, I always get confused!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sal, yes Chiffchaff/Willow Warbler, you and me to.

      Delete
  2. Upeat valokuvat. Hyvää viikonloppua.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Je me régale de tes photos Roy, vraiment tu es un très bon photographe.
    Alors les gobemouches sont là ça y est 😁😁. Je les trouve très beaux !
    Bonne soirée et belle semaine.
    Bisouq

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Nathalie pour vos très gentils commentaires.

      Delete
  4. Qu'elles sont belles toutes ces photos d'oiseaux ! J'adore ! :-)
    Merci Roy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You still got some great shots!
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting
and commenting on my blog