Header 1

Header 1
All images below are clickable

Thursday 2 March 2023

Distant Spoonbills

On an extremely cold and overcast day with challenging light conditions (get my excuses in early), I visited Lodmoor Reserve Weymouth this week.

One of my first views was looking North across the Reserve. I could see in the distance five large white birds. On close inspection through the lens, I could see that it was Spoonbills. I have seen one here before, but not five at once. Unfortunately even with an 840 mm equivalent lens set up I was only able to get reasonable images after cropping.


In the shot below I managed by pure luck to include a Snipe getting airborne.







 

Another elusive species, which efforts to photograph were not helped by the poor light, was that of a resident Water Rail.







A flock of twenty Black-tailed Godwits were frantically feeding away in the shallow waters. 











Of course there are always one or two Little Egrets in attendance.




Een bericht voor Maria in Nederland.

Excuses, Maria, ik kan uw website niet bezoeken omdat mijn antivirussoftware me waarschuwt om dit niet te doen, omdat het kennelijk gevaarlijk is om dit te doen.

8 comments:

  1. Hei Roy! Siellä on mielenkiintoisa lintuja!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hei Anne. Ne ovat niin epätavallisia noiden pitkien nokan kanssa.

      Delete
  2. Cette zone humide est belle à voir comme ça et tu as trouvé de belles espèces. Les spatules sont très attachantes ! Merci pour cette série Roy.
    Bises et bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice spot! they are becoming more common aren't they

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Roy,
    Great environment and great birds! How lucky to see the water rail so beautiful!
    (stunning 840 mm lens!! )
    Greetings, Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria. Yes 840mm lens Olympus/OM Systems 300mm(600mm equivalent) with 1.4 converter.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting
and commenting on my blog