Header 1

Header 1
All images below are clickable

Monday 16 September 2013

The Bird and the Caterpillar

When I was out walking the other day, I could hear a number of Long-tailed Tits in the trees above me. 
I noticed one (see below) that was searching for food under bark and lichen.



Then I could see another one that had been successful and had caught a large green caterpillar. 
(at a guess, probably a Meadow Brown caterpillar)


It was quite a big caterpillar compared to the size of the bird, but the bird was using his perch on which to beat the ill-fated larva.





I don't know the outcome to this story unfortunately, but I didn't fancy the caterpillar's chances.


Looking on from a secluded spot was a female Blackcap.


22 comments:

  1. Hi Roy That is a lovely series of shots an story. Very well shot as these little birds are hard to catch (for me) It is one of my favorite small UK birds to see. Loved the Blackcap hiding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret, yes one of my favourites as well.

      Delete
  2. This is a story, told by you and your pictures. The caterpillar indeed looks BIG but the Long-tailed tits are small as you wrote. It is funny to see and it made me smile. They are such funny and smart little birds.

    Regards,
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice sequence Roy, that should have kept it going until lunch time! Going by the grumpy look on her face Mrs. Blackcap seems to be a bit miffed at missing out?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. fabulous series; these are a beautiful little bird and good at finding their catches too

    ReplyDelete
  5. hij heeft er een heerlijk maaltje aan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great series of behavioral shots Roy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Roy.. Wow that's a big catch for a little fella, that surely filled him up for the day!!
    Great shot's of the event, especially like the trashing shot that worm didn't stand a chance : ))
    Grace
    Ps... Nice spread of cows on the header!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eeek! Poor thing, being beaten up like that, but probably nicer than swallowed alive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Roy

    Quite the series of action shots.

    Guy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing photos-I didn't realise that caterpillars get that sort of treatment before they are eaten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks D. Not such sweet little birds as you thought.{:))

      Delete
  11. The long-tailed tit is a vogetlje sie I would shoot Roy. Love Whole motile animals but you have him very attractive to plates.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What great shots! That is certainly a big caterpillar for such a little bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. Almost half the birds weight.{:))

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting
and commenting on my blog