Header 1

Header 1
All images below are clickable

Wednesday 19 December 2012

The Nuthatch is Back

It's that time of year again when I can easily observe and photograph the Nuthatch.
Such a privilege to see these colourful little characters.

Of course I do see them at other times, but there is one location in woodland adjacent to the parkland that I walk, where they come down from the trees and feed on the ground and a tree stump. They will eat seeds, peanuts and bread and fill their beaks at each repetitive visit and return high up in the trees to eat and or store the food.

On this occasion I observed two of this species along with a number of Great Tits, Blue Tits, Coal Tits and a Robin.

The rest of the year it is usually the case that if I search high up in the larger trees I can see them through binoculars and their call can be heard all the time.





14 comments:

  1. Great Nuthatch poses Roy. A lovely bird, but I seldom see them round here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, this is about the only place where I shot these images that I normally see them.

      Delete
  2. Lovely shots Roy! I am hoping to see these in Ferry Meadows soon and maybe get some photos.
    J
    Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Roy...I love the guys, so much fun to watch!! You got him in some cute positions, which they are very good at doing ..especially like the first one!! I have then here all year round and at the feeder I can almost touch him before he leaves the suet!!
    Easy to shoot at the feeder,but not always in the trees...nice!!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks GG, they are interesting birds to watch, but I don't get to see them that often.

      Delete
  4. Excellent shots Roy, It's always a struggle to get good pictures of these lightening fast beauties...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic pics Roy, that first shot is a real beauty :) Sadly Nuthatches are very rare in most of East Yorkshire so I am super envious that you get to see these handsome birds so regularly !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Nuthatch. Is it just "Nuthatch", like your wren is just "Wren"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are super little birds Steve.
      I guess its full title is Eurasian Nuthatch, but we always refer to it as Nuthatch as its the only one we see.

      Delete
  7. The first photo is perfect, with its soft colours and the ballet-like pose! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Petra, thats a good way to describe the pose.{:))

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting
and commenting on my blog