Header 1

Header 1
All images below are clickable

Wednesday 12 December 2012

A Fish Eating Moorhen

I have not seen a Moorhen with a caught fish before so I thought this shot was worthy of recording.
It does not dive for food so this fish must have been near the surface in shallow water or already perished. A Moorhen's normal diet is shoots, seeds, buds, beetles, snails, worms and small aquatic invertebrates. Having said that, I guess that due to the cold weather and time of year their range of food may vary due to necessity.


13 comments:

  1. Well captured Roy. I've never seen that either. It certainly looked like it had found a hearty meal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roy

    This is a neat behavior, I would have thought they would focus on plants and bugs but most animals seen to be opportunistic feeders when they get the chance.

    Regards
    Guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Guy, it may be due to shortage of their normal diet.

      Delete
  3. Hey Roy....Great shot and worthy for recording! This is a smart bird,fish are health for the
    your diet!! : )
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful discovery. Besides, we all like a little sushi now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, but I don't think he plucked it from a bowl on a conveyer belt in a sushi bar though.{:))

      Delete
  5. Hi Roy,
    Great shot, but I am pretty sure that the fish would have been already dead, or at the very least, pretty close to dying. Interesting behaviour to note, all the same.
    J
    Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, yes on reflection I think you are right about that.

      Delete
  6. Interesting shot Roy and like others have said certainly worth of note :) Did it actually manage to swallow it as it looks a bit big for the bird ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, he sneaked off into the undergrowth and I didn't get to see what happened.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting
and commenting on my blog