Header 1

Header 1
All images below are clickable

Monday 19 June 2023

Corn Bunting and Maiden Castle

Another visit to the local Iron age Hill Fort of Maiden Castle.
My intentions were to search between the grass covered Ramparts for butterfly species and then the various adjacent footpaths in the area.
Only three species of butterfly were found amongst the Ramparts.

The Small Heath






The Common Blue







The Meadow Brown


Base Camp 🤣


I did briefly see one Marbled White on the wing.
Earlier in the week I photographed one at Portland Bill.
(See my Flickr Site)

I then walked along some of the local footpaths and hedgerows. 
I was fortunate enough to observe two Corn Bunting.
This location is a place where you may be able to find this rare bird.
I only had with me an 80-300 mm equivalent micro four thirds lens, but I was quite close to the bird anyway.

The Corn Bunting being a species of concern has been on the UK Red List since 1996.








The unremarkable plumage of the Corn Bunting was to be superseded by a male Chaffinch on a fence post.







I also bumped into some of my favourite animals on the walk.



A wild flower that is very common in the area the Rough Hawbit.


Looking at this attractive small flower below you would not think that it belongs to the Broad-leaved Dock which is regarded as a weed in any situation.



8 comments:

  1. Pretty much the same butterflies we saw at Barnack, Roy, even the man from Natural England that we spoke to said there were very few this summer. Nice to see a Corn Bunting though we still get a few around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos. I don't see butterflies here. Maybe later in the summer. Have a nice week Roy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mais tu es perdu au milieu de nulle part ?! Lol
    Le bruant est plus joli que son chant, un peu fouilli.
    Je suis admirative de tes photos de pinson ! Remarquable Roy.
    Bises

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Roy - lovely butterfly shots and very good images of the birds despite the lens! Corn Buntings are quite common around here, though I never saw one in Brittany.
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting
and commenting on my blog