Header 1

Header 1
All images below are clickable

Tuesday 23 February 2016

Buds and Seeds on the Menu

Now that the buds are emerging on Ash and Maple and there is plenty of Alder seeds available, its a good idea to look for the various species of birds that like that kind of food at this time of year.

Listen out for the cheerful song of the Goldfinch high in the trees. 
They eat a variety of buds and seeds and are usually in small flocks.





Look amongst the Goldfinch or more likely on their own or with a partner, you may find the Bullfinch. 
The male with its bright coloured chest stands out very well.
That said, they are never easy to get a clear shot of as they hide behind twigs and branches.





If you are really fortunate, you may find amongst the Goldfinch one of these below.
The Siskin feed in small flocks or with Goldfinch. These below were with the Goldfinch in this post feeding on Alder seeds.

Male


Female




18 comments:

  1. Hello Roy. A lovely post linking birds to their natural food. I do envy you a sighting of those bullfinches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy. Thanks. The Bullfinch are never that helpful though.

      Delete
  2. Ha! every year I see that it is still February and you are headed for spring already. Below you note that you still have a few snowdrops. It may be another 3-4 weeks before we see snowdrops and crocus flowers. And above I see that your buds are starting to open up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its all happening here Steve. Our Spring seems to be getting earlier each year. In fact there is hardly a Winter of any substance.

      Delete
  3. I've been spying the alders in the park...so far not so much as a sausage..er..finch

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful array of all these finches.
    The putter is great but the goldfinch is also super :-)
    Greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Roy, I have got behind this week looking at the blogs, I have been without the internet for a week, long story, but it's all ok now. Lovely images, my favourite one is the Goldfinch perched on the teasel. I have not seen a Bullfinch visiting my garden for a while. Seeing a few Siskins now, they seem to return to the garden at this time of year. I have noticed the leaves of the Bluebells in my garden are almost fully grown, I have both English and Spanish bluebells, maybe they will flower early this year. Julie Christie? in the comment you gave me :-) I had to look her up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Couleurs et beauté des oiseaux, superbe série Roy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hei Roy! Kauniita keväisiä lintukuvia. Tiklit on ihania lintuja. Niitä on ollut meillä täälläkin koko talven ruokinnalla. Punatulkkuja on sitten vaikea kuvat, lähtevät karkuun, jos vähänkin koittaa päästä lähelle kuvaamaan. Vihervarpuset on hauskoja pieniä lintuja. Niitäkin on ollut runsaasti siemeniä syömässä. Terveisiä Suomesta.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice collection of finches Roy, the first Siskin is a real beauty :-) Also well done on getting some good pics of the bullfinches, I actually don't mind all the twigs as that is how I usually see them when I am birding anyway :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great captures... with so many details!!!
    I love all the images!...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting
and commenting on my blog