Header 1

Header 1
All images below are clickable

Thursday 11 July 2024

A Portland Walk

My latest Walk around the lower part of Portland revealed a few more butterflies than I have found recently.

Firstly, a view of the Portland Bird Observatory which of course use to be a lighthouse. 


The first Red Admiral I have seen this year that is one of the new brood.


I was pleased to observe this female Broad-bodied Chaser Dragonfly ovipositing at the edge of the newly created small pond.
To freeze this inflight dragonfly, I needed to set the camera speed to !/8000.



Below is the male which I already featured before in a previous post as well.




A male Common Blue butterfly was also very pleasing to find considering the lack of them recently.

One butterfly I have seen plenty of this year is the Small Heath.


This Skylark was singing away on a fence post.



This distant male Linnet below was also in good voice.




A welcome resting place for lunch.
This seat constructed of Stone has been there as long as I have visited Portland and probably many years before.


A good number of Gatekeeper butterflies was observed.


I would normally expect to see plenty of the Marbled White butterflies at this time. 
Unfortunately the only one I could find is this rather bedraggled male that has been around for a while.




 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Roy, beautiful photos of your visit to Portland. Beautiful butterflies. Have a nice weekend ! Here again rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Siellä on uskomattomat kuvauspaikat! Mahtavat havainnot ja valokuvat! Hyvää viikonloppua!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great, have thought of you whilst watching Spring Watch (still catching up with it!), which was based mostly in Dorset with some views of Portland Bill and mentions of Lodmoor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy. Yes I did see the set up they had to film the Sand Martins at Radiplole.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting
and commenting on my blog