Header 1

Header 1
All images below are clickable

Saturday 16 December 2023

Winter Beardies - Radipole Lake

For some weeks now a visit to Radipole Lake Reserve Weymouth has not been possible due to the inclement weather we have suffered. The water level of the lake has been very high due to the heavy and constant rainfall. Many of the paths have been underwater.

This week I went for a visit and it is quite passable everywhere around the lake areas.
At this time and on into the rest of the Winter Bearded Tits can be observed more easily providing your are fortunate that is. At one of the locations that I have observed them before, I was able to take a few shots of one of six. They arrived at my position, pitched on reeds for about 6 seconds and then flew on. So I got this male below monetarily. 

Other Birders had seen them there earlier so I was quite fortunate that they had returned. There is a large acreage of Reed bed and they could be anywhere.



Blackbirds were making a meal of the last of the Haw berries.


Another rare occasion nowadays, I was able to get some shots of this Song Thrush as it perched in the middle of a bush.




Also showing quite well are male Great Tits.




The Robins are now somewhat more brave (especially as their plumage has recovered) popping out to the edge of bushes to see if you have any titbits for them.





Cormorants as always, sit on posts after a spot of fishing, drying out and preening their feathers.



6 comments:

  1. Hei Roy! Siellä on kaikki ihanat linnut. Toivottavasti ne tulee pian tänne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiitos Anne. Kyllä he tulevat pian takaisin.

      Delete
  2. Félicitations Roy.
    La chance est là mais la qualité du photographe aussi.
    Elles sont magnifiques ! J'espère un jour aller à leur rencontre.
    Monsieur ou Madame rougegorge est trop beau .
    Bises

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh the Bearded Tits are fabulous! I have only ever seen them, very briefly, twice, over about a 25 year period! Great other pics too. I have visited Radipole once in winter so I can picture it with sodden paths.
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy. Hopefully I will get some more shots in the next month or two as its a good time for them.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting
and commenting on my blog