Header 1

Header 1
All images below are clickable

Tuesday 2 February 2021

Roe Deer

Dorset has a considerable number of Roe Deer spread across the county.
Finding them and getting close to them is not that easy. 
Primarily Roe deer are a woodland species, but will venture out on open farmland to feed.

During one of my lockdown walks I was searching for birds along a strip of young  woodland. I happen to look through towards the other side of the woodland and couldn't believe my eyes. There was a male Roe Deer grazing on grass along the edge of the woodland. I don't believe it could see me at that stage as I hadn't moved for a while. Its ears were pricked up and could obviously sense something.


You can observe from this shot below that he is trying to find an air scent of whatever is around.


Carefully relocating to a better position and remaining downwind, I was able to get plenty of shots of what turned out to be three Roe Deer. One male and two females.








All three appeared to be remaining in one location and looking in all directions which initially I couldn't understand. 




Eventually one by one they started to lay down amongst the tall rough grassland.
It was late afternoon so they were settling down for the night and completely out of sight. 
The location was very well selected, being protected from the elements, low lying and had plenty of escape routes. This was a nice experience and a privilege to witness as observing three like this was unusual as far as I was concerned. 
As you can imagine, using the electronic silent shutter I took plenty of images.



13 comments:

  1. Nice find, Roy. From a photographic point of view it's a pity they didn't find somewhere with slightly shorter grasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John.
      They don't believe in being that helpful.

      Delete
  2. Hi Roy
    Lovely pictures. It was nice to talk to you yesterday and I have been looking for these photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi L, yes great to talk with you, hope you enjoy the blog.

      Delete
  3. Great series of photos. I love... Take care

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've startled myself by bumping into them in town sometimes, and I've seen a couple at work, running across our campus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may be mixing them up with Muntjac deer Simon.

      Delete
  5. Hello Roy
    these are the moments, in the right place at the right time
    very beautiful
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hoi Roy,
    Prachtige serie van deze reeën!
    Top!
    Groetjes,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting
and commenting on my blog