Header 1

Header 1
All images below are clickable

Friday 12 February 2021

By The Riverside

The riverside is a good place for birds to find food during Winter, mainly insects and the like. During a recent Lockdown Walk I stopped and observed across a small river which is lined on one side by small trees and vegetation. 

The first bird observed below appeared quite small and not immediately identified.
I had forgotten the recent lesson I learned a month ago (and a few years ago) that some Chiffchaffs do remain in England during the Winter months. Having sought clarification from and expert it was confirmed as a Chiffchaff. I think I was confused by the fact that it was quite small and had pronounced greenish/yellow areas on its plumage.
It was certainly much brighter than the previous Winter Chiffchaff I had observed in Radipole lake back in early January.







The other bird observed across the lake even I can immediately recognise. 
A Wren was bobbing along the vegetation next to the waters edge.

Both these birds did repeat performances for me over the next half hour.
I shall revisit to get some better shots.







 

8 comments:

  1. Amazing to see a chiffchaff in Winter Roy Great shot and I love Wrens

    ReplyDelete
  2. No idea if the comments I made yesterday came through to you or just disappeared into thin air as is the way often when using an ipad.... well anyway, I was saying that in Brittany our Chiffchaffs were always more yellow in the autumn than in the spring. I enjoyed a number of your other posts that I looked at too, especially the Bearded Tits. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting
and commenting on my blog