Header 1

Header 1
All images below are clickable

Friday 15 January 2021

Fieldfare and Redwing

During my Lockdown walk over recent days, I had discovered an apple tree in a small strip of young woodland along side the pathway. The tree had discarded most of its apple on the ground beneath. I considered this to be a place worth checking frequently, as it was just the place to find Fieldfare and Redwing. Known by some as Winter Thrushes. Both species visit UK from Scandinavia during the Winter period.

On this latest visit I observed bird activity under and nearby the tree.
Sure enough it was a single Fieldfare, a single Redwing, two Blackbirds and a Robin.


The Fieldfare was driving off the Redwing and a Blackbirds from the base of the apple tree and the immediate area. Considering it to be a losing battle he then concentrated on just the base of the tree. On occasions he would retire to the upper branches. Occasionally the Fieldfare would swoop down on the other birds, driving them off a short distance.









The Redwing frequently made sorties onto the fallen apples, but was driven off by the Fieldfare. It eventually wised up and found apples further away from the immediate area of the main bunch. The Blackbirds maintained a good distance and were more interested in turning over fallen leaves around the trees generally.
The Robin did the same.







9 comments:

  1. I always love to see winter thrushes, even though they come every year. Not so many Fielfares around here this year though plenty of Redwings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. Both thin on the ground here as well.

      Delete
  2. Hi Roy,
    Great captures !
    Regards,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete


  3. Lovely little birds. Excellent shooting.
     
     
    Happy New Year 2021 !!

    I pray you and yours to peace.   And, Peace of the earth.

    I wish You all the best.
    Greeting and hug.


    From Japan, ruma ❃

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that they have also been seen in my area, but I have not been able to photograph them myself.
    Really pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting
and commenting on my blog