Header 1

Header 1
All images below are clickable

Sunday 21 April 2019

Three Flutters

Three butterflies that I have observed in the last week

Green-veined White
Emerges from Chrysalis in April and there are two broods during the year.
I believe this one to be a female.






Holly Blue
Emerges from chrysalis end of March, beginning of April and there are two broods during the year normally, but a third is possible.
I think this one I shot is a female. 






Small Tortoiseshell

A hibernator, this species can be seen flying in March providing there is some warmth from the sun.
There are two broods in the year, but the second brood don't mate and start looking for suitable hibernation locations in August.
Males and females are very similar in appearance.








4 comments:

  1. Lovely set, as always, Roy. Hopefully, lots more busy 'flutter days' to come?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trevor. Providing the weather doesn't do anything silly Trevor, it should be OK.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful images I saw 2 species down at my old caravan but do not get shots of them. Hope you are having a good Easter.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting
and commenting on my blog