Header 1

Header 1
All images below are clickable

Monday 25 November 2013

Fieldfare Plus


A few of the flock of 50+ Fieldfare that I observed last week.
These were enjoying the Haw berries of which are very plentiful this year.
Its a splendid bird and great for photographs (if you can get close enough) and has a variety of colours in its plumage.


The Fieldfare is one of our regular Winter visitors to UK arriving from Northern Scandinavia in September at the very earliest and departing by April. A member of the Thrush family its gregarious in nature and flocks up to 100 in number. It does mix with the Redwing (a similar bird from the same family), I did see one Redwing amongst this party, but there could have been more.





20 comments:

  1. Hi Roy. how wonderful to see Fieldfare and get such great shots of them. I hope I see some this year because last year I didn't,t see one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret, yes I think its less likely where you are to see these.

      Delete
  2. Nice pics Roy, these birds have got to be one of the most handsome which visit us in the winter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wat mooi z,on hele groep van deze mooie kramsvogels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Yes its the largest group I have seen for a couple of years John.

      Delete
  5. WOW!
    That is one sight I can't here here!
    They stay inside the bushes, not on top!
    Great pics Roy!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos of the Fieldfares. I saw my first 'home' flock of the autumn today in the Poplars around us. Unfortunately it was too dark for any photos - but I was thrilled to see them all the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, yes it great to see these return.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful photographs of super birds, they visit our orchard in the winter to feed on the fallers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Roy... Wow that is a tree full of bird and berries !!
    They have nice color and marking, and they look to be about the size of our Robin which is in the thrush family too!!

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks GG, yes they are about the size of your Robin.

      Delete
  9. Lovely pictures, I saw my first at Middlebere and Hartland Moor last week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Roy,

    That's nice, a flock of Fieldfare. You managed to make some nice pictures, and the sun is shining aswell, ahhhh. Today I saw a flock of Fielfare too, but I couldn't take pictures.
    BTW Your header is great!

    Regards,
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Marianne. The sun isn't shining now Marianne, very dull and overcast for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jeez ... what many Fieldfare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helma, yes most I have seen so far this autumn.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting
and commenting on my blog