Header 1

Header 1
All images below are clickable

Wednesday 6 September 2023

A Portland Bill Shoot - Mostly Wheatear

I can never resist a Wheatear shoot on Portland.
There are usually plenty of this species around at this time. It was an extremely hot day and the birds were not that active and quite approachable.

As usual there were some Rock Pipit around the edges of the Bill. They are resident birds and can be found throughout the year.












You cannot do a post of Portland Bill area without including a Rock Pipit images.




I also observed at least one mixed flock of Linnet and Goldfinch and many Starlings flying around. They were constantly moving from one location to another in the same field. The images are quite appalling as the camera was not set for flight shots at the time. This was due to the fact I did not press a button to switch quickly to that setting, like I should have done. I will blame the hot weather.😎






10 comments:

  1. Well your appalling in flight shots are better than my best ones - but I've never got around to really figuring out those settings where the camera tracks moving objects. I did try that when I did a photography course but couldn't get it to work properly anyway! Love your Wheatear shots - they are really lovely birds. Glad you are getting some summer weather at last!
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, yes the Summer has arrived albeit rather late.

      Delete
  2. I always think that the Wheatear is such a pretty, dainty bird. Are they resident in any areas of the U.K.? I’m not sure. Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sal. No, they sensibly leave UK for the Winter and fly South to West Africa.

      Delete
  3. Superbe sortie ornitho Roy avec comme à ton habitude de superbes photos. Les pipits sont aussi des oiseaux très intéressants.
    Bises

    ReplyDelete
  4. J'aime beaucoup toutes ces photos d'oiseaux, quel bel article ! Rock pipit est très beau, il valait bien de paraître sur cet article ! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting
and commenting on my blog