Header 1

Header 1
All images below are clickable

Saturday 20 January 2024

More Beardies


Tall reed beds are the Bearded Tits natural habitat.
They feed on reed seeds at this time of year and reed bed insects during the late Spring, Summer and Autumn. When eating seeds the bird uses grit to grind down the outer shell of the seeds. I have also observed them dropping down to the water level on occasions to drink. Bearded Tit numbers have increased over the years and their conservation status on the UK list is 'Green'.


I am fortunate currently to live in an area where there is a large Reed Bed locally. 
That said, I can visit the location on a number of occasions and not see any of the species.
However there are other occasions when I can see them several days following. It is all a matter of luck really. January, February are usually good months to observe them.






















8 comments:

Thank you so much for visiting
and commenting on my blog