Header 1

Header 1
All images below are clickable

Wednesday 19 July 2023

A Lodmoor Sandwich

On my visit to Lodmoor Reserve Weymouth this week, I was observing a flock of Mediterranean Gulls, both adults and juvenile. There was quite a number that bred at Lodmoor this year as usual.
When I returned home and uploaded the images on the laptop, I noticed that amongst them a different juvenile was photographed. At long range you don't always notice every bird you shoot.

This juvenile was in fact a young Sandwich Tern which I learned later.
The leg ring 411 is being researched.


Another lone bird was this Black-tailed Godwit still in its summer plumage.



The Blackwit was not all that well received by the Med Gulls at first (as I assume) it was trying to rest probably from a long flight.







Eventually the Meds accepted it, or more likely tolerated it.













Unfortunately this lovely Greenfinch would not come down any lower from this rather awkward for photography perch.




A pair of Oystercatchers moved around from one location to another feeding.





8 comments:

  1. A lovely place to visit! The Black tailed Godwit looks rather lonely! A fab photo of it in flight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour Roy.
    Les zones humides et côtières sont riches en oiseaux d'eau, tes photos le prouvent.
    Très jolie jeune Sterne !
    As-tu aujourd'hui des nouvelles de la bague ?
    Bonne fin de semaine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chère Nathalie. Merci, mais pas encore de nouvelles de la bague.

      Delete
  3. Black Tailed Godwits are beautiful birds. I really need to visit a nature reserve... my wildlife consists of what I see walking from home these days. The Med Gull are smart aren't they :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pete. Yes lovely birds. It is surprising what you can see even in local areas not known for nature especially.

      Delete
  4. I’m like you with vultures, when it comes to gulls. I think they are boring! Lol The tern was a nice find though. :-)
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting
and commenting on my blog