Header 1

Header 1
All images below are clickable

Wednesday 24 August 2016

A Woodland Walk

Images from my recent Woodland Walk.
Just a snapshot of what can be observed at the moment.


Green Acorns

The Red Tail. I have observed quite a few of these this year. Last year I don't remember seeing one.


A Speckled Wood basking in the sunlight that is shining through the trees.


Common Fleabane and Wild Mint


Another Brown Argus.



Wild apple trees grow in several locations around the woodland 


The place below normally provides for plenty of butterfly activity, although not quite so much this year.


The female Silver-washed Fritillary below is not looking at her best anymore.....


.....neither is the male.


The old hay rake still resides on the heathland 



There are still plenty of Meadow Brown Butterflies around......


....and Small Skippers.





I was very pleased to find a number of Painted Lady butterflies in several different areas of the more open areas of the woodland. A good increase on last years odd one.



Sloe fruit are plenty as always.



A good number of Small Tortoiseshell can be found in the area. I still search for that elusive Scarce Tortoiseshell which is similar with the noticeable absence of the brown around the central body area.


Hazel Nuts. Plenty around, but everywhere I observe the trees there is evidence of Squirrel activity with many empty shells on the ground.


Common Darter


Common Darter pair ovipositing 



Large White 

Male Brimstone

There are plenty of Haw berries already.



Common Darter in silhouette 


Large Skipper (female and male below)



This heathland area provides a good source of butterflies.



16 comments:

  1. what a lovely walk you took us throught the woodland and plenty to see and photograph. Love all the butterflies. I don't think I have ever seen a Silver-washed Fritillary. I would love this walk myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret. Its a good location for SW Fritillary.

      Delete
  2. A nice variety of photographs, I like the old hay rake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks D.
      Yes its been there quite a few years now.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely walk. Thank you for taking me along. My companion isn't up to walking the trails and I've truly been missing it! I enjoyed all of your pictures! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Kävelen melko säännöllisesti tähän aikaan vuodesta Anne.

      Delete
  5. ¡Precioso recorrido y muy buenas fotos de mis queridas mariposas!. Compartimos muchas especies.
    Un saludo desde Asturias.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best place to go for a walk on a hot day, the woodland. My garden is very shady because of the trees and high hedge and it makes a difference in temperature, very cool which helps to keep our home cool too. lovely set of pictures, have you eaten any of the wild apples?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Lyn. Not eaten any of those apples, I think they are pretty sour and I don't really know the history of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice walk. I could just imagine myself walking along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely post and a nice selection of butterflies. There seems to have been a small explosion of speckled wood butterflies here this week, but apart from that it hasn't been a great butterfly year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, we have had quite a bit of success with some species, but only in recent weeks.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting
and commenting on my blog